Successful gallbladder removal stories

Posted , 13 users are following.

I have been reading a lot about this surgery and I already know too many bad stories. Can anyone who had a successful story please post about it? I know there are people with good experiences rigth after the surgery and even many years after. I think Those of us who are about to have this surgery need to hear some positive experiences too. Thanks

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

I know how you feel, I'm now 10 days post op, all seems to be good for me, first few days home I was taking paracetamol, ibuprofen and codeine for pain relief, sleeping was a bit of an issue due to being uncomfortable and having to sleep on my back but that's passed now, I've had to take paracetamol once but that was due to over doing it, listen to your body as it will let you know what you can and can't do. Good luck I'm sure you'll be just fine x

• Posted

Hi Caroline

People mostly go on forums to complain so that's why you'll find more bad stories.

I had my gallbladder removed in July and feel like I've got my life back! I was on codine, paracetamol and ibrupofen for about 3 days then removed the codine and then paracetamol when needed.

Was up and about after a week. Not lifting though till 3 weeks.. I suffered for 8 years! Putting it off till I was in pain daily. I feel great physically now. Occasionally get phantom pain where my gb use to be and sometimes diarrhoea if I eat cream! (You'll find your trigger food.) and sometimes nausea. All of that is nothing compared to the pain I was in. Wouldn't even say I get any of them on a weekly basis. They are one offs every now and then.

Hope that helps!

• Posted

Hi Renee, I read about that phantom pain and that is a total mistery to me . I do not understand how can someone have pain if the gallbladder is not there. My Dr said that many people feel pain because they had a stone stucked in the duct and it wasn't removed in the surgery. He also said that people may have other issues not just the gallbladder, so the pain comes from another issue. Anyway, thanks for adding something positive to this very scary procedure
    • Posted

It's like phantom limb pain I guess. When someone loses an arm or a leg they still "feel" it and they want to itch it etc and it drives them crazy cause it's not there! So I guess it's similar. I don't get gallbladder attacks but just a dull ache like post op pain maybe
    • Posted

For a year after I had mine removed in an operation in which I bled out and nearly died I was absolutely fine.  I could feel my gallbladder a year or so after my removal and went to the Doctors and was told it was psychosomatic.  This past year since has been a nightmare.  I now have a post operative mass in the gallbladder sight and am awaiting surgery to remove it and see what it is.  Most people I know who've had the operation had it, no problems and everything is peachy.  It's one of those things that if it goes wrong, it can be spectacular.  I can assure everyone that I did exactly what I was told to do, I've always been very good about my diet too.  I have done nothing that warrants the after effects of all this.  Those that have had simple routine operations should count their blessings because that is the norm.  Those that have know how awful the pain is so really should have more sympathy for those that have continued to suffer long after their operations.  Good luck to you all.
    • Posted

I would love to know how your surgery went and what was found.  Please update if you can!
  • Posted

I had my gall bladder removed 8 weeks ago and all went smoothly though I did baby myself and am still trying to milk it with the family lol.  I know what you mean about the bad stories that  are posted.  We do not know the entire story of these people.  Did they not follow doctors orders and started lifting things or eating high fat foods after surgery?  Do they also have other health issues that they don' t know about or are not telling us?  

• Posted

I had my surgery almost a year ago. I had about 1 week of fairly bad pain but managable with meds and 2 weeks more of mild pain. After that i just needed to ensure i didnt lift anything too heavy for a few more weeks. Haven't had any flare ups and i only get diarrhea after the first meal of the morning if i go too long between meals. I recommend a small low fat snack before bed and eating some protein within an hour of waking. I also take magnesium and a b complex vitamin every day to help my body manage the fat and carb breakdown without dumping a bunch of bile in my stomach. Hope everything goes well. Ps my scars are almost gone now.
  • Posted

Hello,

I had mine out in 1999 (in the Bahamas of all places) I worked on cruise ships at the time and had the operation by keyhole on the Tuesday, flew back to join my ship in Miami on the Thursday and was back to work the next day. I have to say I have had no complications or side effects in the 16 years since, my diet has been unrestricted and normal. The only discomfort I had after surgery was from the gas they use to inflate the body cavity in order to give them more room for the keyhole equipment but that discomfort was gone within 36 hours. I have three tiny scars no longer than 1 cm and only one of those needed a stitch, now these scars are invisible. I can say that post op quality of life is vastly improved as I had lived with Gall bladder pain for 20 years prior to the op. My experience is that there is nothing at all to worry about. 

• Posted

Hiya

I had mine out in September and initially I had a rough time but on the whole since a little scare I have been miles better. I too get some uncomfortableness if I eat certain things but I can eat without major discomfort I was in before.

At the very beginning after my op I was scared I would have diarohea for life. But once everything settled down I am very greatful to my surgical team

• Posted

Can you describe the discomfort that you feel after you eat? Is it heartburn or a sharp pain or gas pain? Everyone talks about a pain, but is this pain something that goes away quick, can you sleep and function with it? Does something make it feel better? I just had 1 single gallbladder attack 3 weeks ago, but that took me to the emergency room and i was there for hours before them gave me pain medicine and the bill is now huge. I noticed in most posts that I read that most people who had this surgery had issues for years before they actually got it out. I wondering if this has anything to do with all the after surgery problems, since maybe something else could have developed along those years of having pain. My gallstones are small but many, so I was told those can get stuck in the duct easier and this could be worse, so I do not want to try to leave with them for years. Them found the stones by accident last year but I never had pain related to them until now. I do not want to go to the emergency room again I can't afford that, but I wonder if the surgery makes it any better if you guys are still having strange pain and other discomfort
    • Posted

From start to finish mine was about 8 weeks, I had severe pain in right side by ribs took to a and e they gave me morphine then was in a and e a further twice and then had appointment for surgery. I had gas pain and that just kind of wears off a few days after op. My pain was as I had a slight internal bleed after my op so pain was related to inflammation around blood. Actual gall bladder pIn has gone I do get the odd twinge but nothing in comparison. If it hurts get it out so much relief.

Hope it settles, I was eating beetroot and carrot pre op and drinking apple juice and apple cider vinegar that eases pain and buscopan reduces the spasms

• Posted

Hi Carolina

I had mine out in June and have not taken one painkiller after coming round from op to date.

All went well with no hitches.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.