Tip of the penis (meatus) is red and swollen like lips, what is the problem?

Posted , 59 users are following.

I am 29 years old, the tip of my penis (meatus) is red and swollen like lips (check the attached photos please), it has been like this since many years, sometimes the redness/swelling is little more other times is little less, I have never had sex before. There is no pain neither burning sensations, there is no blood when I urinate or ejaculate or even any type of strange discharges, everything feels just normal, it is a bit sensitive to touch yet, including the glans itself and sometimes it has an unpleasent smell.

I am uncircumcised and I cannot retract my foreskin all the way back, Lately I've started stretching the foreskin and I am seeing some results by exposing more of the glans. I haven't been cleaning underneath the foreskin before, just lately I've started washing it with water everyday. I have been masturbating since 10+ years almost everyday, and lately I have reduced it to around twice per week.

I would like to know if there is a problem with the tip of my penis opening being red and swollen? Do you think there is any serious problem with it? Is it normal that it smells unpleasant sometimes? any suggestions to reduce the swelling/redness and also reduce the sensitivity?

Sorry for the long description. Appreciate your kind advises and help.

3 likes, 76 replies

76 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I would defiantly have it looked at...could be some form of infection easily fixed...don't let it go.

• Posted

It doesn't look particularly red or swollen, and I'm not sure there's a problem there to be honest, but it wouldn't hurt to have it looked at.  I would regard the phimosis as an issue (though some men choose to just live with it), and while stretching may fix the problem, your GP or someone at a genitourinary medicine (GUM) clinic could also prescribe a steroid cream which may help.  I would expect the sensitivity to just fix itself over time.

There shouldn't be an unpleasant smell with daily washing, but that's more likely to be because of the phimosis.  Masturbating isn't a problem btw.

• Posted

Thank you guys for the informative replies. I am planning to have it checked once I fully expose the glans to have a full check on it at once. While doing my research, I have found some natural ways to treat some issues related to penis issues that might be related to my case such as applying coconut oil, or washing with sea-salt. Would you advise trying such methods? Any other ideas?

Thank you.

• Posted

I'm not sure coconut oil or salt water will help, but I don't see them doing much harm either, so you could give them a try and see if they work for you.  Personally, I'd stay away from any commercial remedies, and I'm highly sceptical of anything homeopathic.

There's an NHS page on balanitis which might help, but I'm not actually sure you have balanitis.  I'd definitely get a doctor to take a look if I were you.

• Posted

I have the same problem as you, I've had it for two weeks. I ordered something called terrasil balanitis relief, I'll let you know how it works out

• Posted

I tried the Terasil, had no luck. Went to EmuAid cream and soap. The farther you can retract thr better you can apply/clean.

• Posted

Hey magnet87 really sorry about your problem im dealing with the same. With me it gets worse here and there ive been tested and have no stds.. ive have been with the same women for 12 yrs/the mom of my kids and my best friend. We have a soild relationship i can tell you neither of us has been unfaithful. Ive only been deling with it for a month but from all the reading i do everyday seems to be somethings that lingers. It has destroyed my sex drive, not that it hurts to much but that i dont want to make it worst. Ive been to my doctor ,no infection and i was treated with flozocone for yeast infection. There was no white blood cells in my urine. I have a huge garden with hundreds of cherry tomatoes of which i eat 20 to 30 a day off the vine i thought maybe the muric acid in my urine was the cause but ive since stopped with no help. I also thought the soap we wash with may be the cause.going to a derm and a urologist next but i have a feeling they cant help and usually dont care.with mine it feels way worse than it looks. Any thing u come up with please post. These damn threads are the only thing i have at this point.sad

• Posted

Hey man found a solution? Everyone here never updates their conclusions! 
  • Posted

I have same problem for many years. I have tested like 10 times, made all possible tests there are available - but all negative except HPV. But HPV is a virus and it's impossible to cure it. So it must be HPV or some kind of nerve issue(nerves are blocked by gristle or scarring.

Let me know people what you think about that?

• Posted

Hey man, i have the exact same problem since 3 years. Any luck? Did you find a cure or anything? If you did then please update us.

Thank you.

• Posted

Hey,

I have the same thing since September. You pictures definitely look like it's inflamed. If you go to the doctors like i did they will say "it looks normal to me". It also led to other problems. In my case it feels like a blocked pipe. I am not sure if you got this sorted. In case not here is what you can try and if these don't work then like mine it's an injury that will take forever to heal because every time you urinate it will keep disrupting it.

It could be thrush: if so try fluconazole it's a tablet otherise try clotrimazole cream twice a day for two weeks. If that doesn't work then ask ur doctor for dermovate or trimovate, these are steroid creams so don't use them for more than 10 days (apply twice a day). Finally, if that doest work it could be nerve related.

If that doesn't work then it's an injury and will basically take forever to heal. Hope that helps.

• Posted

What kind of injury it would be? And I'm asking since I've never had sex. If this inflammation on the opening going to hurt during sex and will it affect my partner?

• Posted

Hey karthik,

I didn't get mine from sex either. I have had sex but it wasn't from that. I went to bed one night and woke up with it.

Let me tell you, don't have sex and try what I said with the different creams one for thrush, the other dermovate steroid cream, if this doesn't help, give it a bit of time and it will look "less worse" let's say. Trust me I have been inv satisfying this since September religiously. If the above medications don't clear it then it is an injury. Leave it some time before having sex so it doesn't cause you discomfort. Also the injury is a nerve injury. You may or may not get tingly feelings from time to time and if so it's nerve damage probably from masterbation.most of the nerves in the penis are in the glans and the tip so it's logical to presume that it's a nerve injury.

Just be careful, I want to save you a lot of problems that I ended up with. If it gets inflamed after masterbation or irritated then take a break from that also. I masterbated too soon when I got it and it was like a blocked pipe that when I had sex again and ejaculated i felt my penis shatter and since then have had multiple problems with an inflamed shaft. I think I ruptured vessels or tore part of my superficial fascia and my current state is awful so wait for it to calm down a lot before doing anything.

To help with nerve damage u should get lyrica (pregabalin) for nerve control this should help. If you are in the UK When you ask your GP insist on the lyrica brand. It's third on their list as it's the most expensive one and so they try to give patients the cheaper two first. I hope that helps. If you have any other questions just message me again.

• Posted

Hey davidsmith123,

I am having same sort of infection, how can I overcome from this. Will it recover or not? Will it affect my sexual life. Please reply ASAP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.