Turp

Posted , 8 users are following.

Some on here may remember me, I had a Turp last November (2014 )

anyway last week I had visual problems in my left eye. I was refered to an Ophthalmologist who found I had a cataract, he also found That I suffered from IFIS caused by the use of tamsulosin for my Prostitis prior to the Turp. this makes cataract surgery difficult and the recovery outcome not so good, I was not told that tamsulosin would effect the Iris of the eye and that it stays in the body for life , so please be aware of the risks before taking 

tamsulosin /flomax.

I have gone private and have Cataract removal surgery on the 13th june ( Saturday next )

kind regards 

Howard

3 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, can i ask how long you were on Tamsulosin before turp? regards Syd
    • Posted

Only 10 days, but it was enough to effect the Iris. I thought all meds work out of the body after time, I was wrong Tamsulosin stays for life.

QUOTE: IFIS has been associated with Flomax (tamsulosin), a medication widely prescribed for urinary symptoms associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia. Tamsulosin is a selective alpha blockerthat works by relaxing the bladder and prostatic smooth muscle. As such, it also relaxes the iris dilator muscle by binding to its postsynaptic nerve endings. Even if a patient has only taken tamsulosin once in their life, that dose is enough to cause IFIS during cataract extraction indefinitely.[2][3]

• Posted

Hi Howard. I took Rapaflo for 6 days. Do you know if it has this or any other permanent effects?
    • Posted

Hi Howard , cheers for info...good luck and speedy recovery on 13th. Syd
    • Posted

It belongs to the same family and an Alpha -1 blocker, ( dug this up for you )

Patients planning cataract surgery must notify their ophthalmologist that they are taking Rapaflo because of the possibility of a condition called Intraoperative Floppy Iris Syndrome (IFIS), a complication associated with cataract surgery in patients on alpha-1 adrenoreceptor blocker medications. In IFIS the iris of the eye becomes limp and moves in waves as a result of increases in fluid levels within the eye. This can result in a painful and extended recovery period in those who have undergone cataract surgery and a reduction in visual acuity (sharpness). Patients on alpha-blockers or those who have severe kidney or liver impairment should not use Rapaflo.

• Posted

I only took Rapaflo for 6 days, and wanted to know, if IFIS can occur no matter how long ago or for how long you took Rapaflo, as you stated for Tamsulosin. I did call Rapaflo, they had no info on this in their database, I insisted they check with a source they would have who might know. 

This may be because Rapaflo has been on the market less than 5 yrs, so they don't have this adverse effect reported by any doctors, even though it should be reported. I also asked how long it's effects can be seen in a patient, even if just detected in a person's blood or in some other way. Does anyone here know these answers or could point me in that direction?

Thank you!

• Posted

I really doubt if one dose of Tamsulosin is there forever.
  • Posted

Hi Howard. I've just been told by my Opthalmologist I have glaucoma starting. Am going for laser surgery 'SLT'next month. He says the worst thing can go wrong is that it doesn't work and need to do it again. And the cataracts aren't serious enough for surgery as long as I can still drive ok. Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping he is right. He also says the eye drops cause more problems than laser.

Good luck to you

Roland

• Posted

howard

Thanks for the information on Tamsulosin i just filled my prescription today.

I will wait to take it untill i research other Alpha blockers !

Griff

• Posted

ALFUZOSIN  does not have that effect.

I took Tamsulosin for nine or ten months . I was taking Amiodarone at the same time and each had an effect on my eyes. I had been told that I would need cataract surgery in the future but the amiodarone hastened it. I was concerned about 'Floppy eye syndrome' from the tamsulosin but prior to cataract surgery they said that it had not affected me. Though the surgeon doing my second eye commented 'Why do they give me all the difficult cases'

• Posted

Who said life was easy.....LOL

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.