Turp operation or laser ?or leave alone?

Posted , 93 users are following.

Hello there I am 59 years old, I have been diagnosed with bph for several. Years now , psa ok around 2.5 checked every year, symptoms getting worse, peeing several times during the night , also severe retention if leave it too long when need to go .do not leak! (Yet) and would appreciate feedback from others who have had the procedure ( good and bad) The alfuziin 10 mg tablets seem to make little difference, and wondering whether to go ahead or carry on.

6 likes, 975 replies

975 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with BPH at age 52 and had TURP procedure 9 weeks ago (age 54). Symptoms included getting up at night and very poor flow. I expected the procedure to be a walk in the park, but it was more challenging than I thought. I was reminded by my surgeon that although there is no incision, it still should be considered major surgery.

I had to be re-catheterized 6 hours after the catheter was removed because of my inability to void. It was removed again 2 days later without any problems. I continued bleeding for 3 weeks and it was also quite uncomfortable having a pee. After the bleeding stopped, the urgency and frequency really kicked in and I would find myself running to the toilet every hour. The doctor put me on Vesicare to help with the frequency and bladder spasms. Now, 9 weeks after the procedure, I have excellent flow and no pain or discomfort. I still have the urgency and frequency, but it is gradually improving and now I can last as long as 3 hours during the day and get through the night completely.

For a few weeks I was regretting the decision to have the TURP, but now I'm glad I had it done. The surgeon has since told me that some people just take longer to recover than others and that the urgency and frequency will just continue to improve over time. My expectations were probably unrealistic from the start, as I expected to be fully functional within a couple of weeks. Now, 9 weeks later, I'm much happier.

• Posted

Just saw your story/post. Had TURP 1 week ago. Not veryet happy so far. Glad you are ok.
    • Posted

Hello.  Some doctor don't tell you the whole story.  There have been men on this post that have had a turp and they have problem up to a year. All men heal at a different rate.  Good luck and I do hope you guys feel better  Ken 

• Posted

Hi! I had the TURP 16 days ago. Flow is good but still blood in urine, painful in penis when urinating (feels like razors) and painful in abdomen at the end. I guess it's still early days. Just a bit worried about UTI but have follow-up with consultant next week so we'll see what he says. Haven't seen any evidence of the scab coming away yet which can happen after about 2 weeks I have read. Guess I'm just a bit impatient??

• Posted

When you refer to the scab coming away - would you explain what this is? Thank you.
    • Posted

Hi David. Like any operation when you have a cut/scape a scab forms afterwards. I was told to expect that after 1-2 weeks I could see bits of scab in my urine. In fact I didn't really. I now have absolutely no regrets whatsoever about having had the TURP. I have a dry ejaculation but that's a small price to pay I believe. Hope this helps. Cheers. Steve

• Posted

David, when they carve out your prostate, for lack of a better term, you are left with scabbing like any other issue.

I peed mine out some the size of a dime... Felt weird and one, somewhat painful. Had only 4 that I know of.

• Posted

Brian here are some better terms that some of the men on here have use for this procedure.  Cut, Burned, Ripped and Distroyed.  Just to pee a little better  Not worth it.  Have ag reat day  Ken 
    • Posted

Maybe not worth it to pee a little better, but well worth it to avoid full retention, busting a nut to pee a few drops that feel like raxzor blades, avoiding having urine back into your bladder, etc. Cutting off your hand for a hangnail isn't worth it, but cutting off a finger mangled in a meat grinder might be essential.

• Posted

Kenneth, having an imminent button turp, I've carefully read all the the comments on this forum and others.   Compared to most online discussions around surgery and medication, button turp comments are highly favorable with the large majority happy with the end result after the initial discomfort.   I see no mention of these terms ("Cut, Burned, Ripped and Distroyed"wink you reference.   Unless I've missed that part of the discussion, readers of this forum should not be mislead.

• Posted

For men who need/want a traditional TURP-type procedure, I do believe that the Button TURP is the gold standard these days. Results have been quite good.
    • Posted

Hi Bill,

If your prostate isn't too big, button TURP is a very reasonable choice if retro ejaculation isn't much of an issue for you. Good luck with the operation and let us know how you do. 

Jim

• Posted

Been through everything you have talked about in your post.  I still did not give up.  I will fight to keep it till the day I die.  Also I would still have 9 fingers left.  i only have one prostate  Have a great day  Ken
    • Posted

I am Jay at 29 days out. I can relate to your posting. Pain peeing, both penis and bladder spasms, that deep inside pain. I am still struggling to pee every 60-75 minutes. So 20 times a day, I am at 580 bathroom visits. Penis is irritated from going so often. Loose underwear, better than tight, rubbing on garment is more irritation. I am settled in to pain each time I go.

Urologist was vague on post surgery issues. If they told us to much we might of chose to die from some thing else we already had. I was in ER 5 & 7 days after procedure with problems voiding. Wish I knew then about this site. Experienced men, beats the TURP promo sites for accurate info.

I like seeing that recovery might take more time, as my improvements are so small 1st to 4th week. Better, but not by much.

• Posted

Hello there , thanks for reply , (thinking I am all alone! )I get the gist of your message and take it on board. Just one question though, was the laser operation not an option for you , or offered as apparently less intrusive , or any reason why it could not be done ? Also you mention bladder spasms ? What do you mean by that? Many thanks for a reply. Graham
    • Posted

Dear Graham My name is Mohammad Asif. I am 62 Years old. I was suffering from (Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia). I went for a laser operation. I did it. I was relaxed form two months after operation but after two months i am again feeling pain while urinating. Could you please guide me. What shall i use of medicines or something else. I am waiting for your soon respons in regard. 

thanks 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.