Upper Abdomen Discomfort for Months

Posted , 6 users are following.

Since the beginning of the year (7 months now) I have had discomfort at the center of my upper abdomen right around where the diapharam ends. I describe it as a dull constant discomfort. 

I have had every test done known to man and they have all come back negative. Tests done include blood work, endoscopy, abdominal and chest CT, ultrasound, gallbladder test. 

I am a 28 year old male, slender, eat healthy, and have never smoked.

Any suggestions to what this may be would be very helpful, it is very discomforting that no doctor can find anything wrong.

Thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Is the discomfort always there nonstop? Or does it come when you do specific things such as eating or having a bowel movement? Are there things that make it worse?
    • Posted

It feels like it's always there. Even when it's not bad i can feel it lingering. Eating does not make it better or worse. I have tried changing my diet, all to no avail. Sometimes when i lay on my side at night the pressure feels greater, i'll also get mini spasms/jumps in the area as well which are very scary.

My GI doctor put me on a PPI but that did not work either.

I have taken pantoprazole, fluoxetine, amitriptyline, glycopyrrolate, all which don't seem to help.

Like i mentioned, very frusterating that no one can get to the bottom of this. It has basically consumed my life all year...

• Posted

I've had this pain for over 6 years now and I get it at least once a month and it last for about 3-4 days. My doctors can't figure out what's wrong with me. I can't sleep and I'm always in discomfort.

I don't know what the hell to do.

• Posted

I'm thinking that there's nothing wrong with your intestines or stomach. Have you gotten any second opinion about xrays or CT scans? Maybe other doctors have missed something that's wrong around your organs like arteries, bones, etc.

• Posted

Literally the same thing as me except I'm 29 years old and my pain is maybe an inch to the right off center. If I sleep on my stomach or right side the discomfort/pain/pressure will begin pulsing and be greater. It is near constant pressure/pain about 95% of the day and all night long.

Haven't been able to figure out what it is either.

• Posted

It's very frusterating i know. And doctors have rulled out everything serious? I did some research and it sounds like its something called "functional pain" where there is no known cause and treatment. Some treatments work for others while some dont.

• Posted

They did abd ultrasound and abd CT scan with contrast + I had a clean colonscopy 4 years ago. Didn't do an endoscopy or anything like that

Part of me thinks it could just be my back like Dr. kalam is saying. Maybe referring pain to the stomach area.

• Posted

I am having a small bowel follow-through test dont next week. After that the only other test my GI doctor has yet to perform is a colonoscopy. He said that would be the next step but thinks it will be negative. Maybe it is just nerve discomfort and its something that i'll have to live with. Does nerve problems explain the little spasms/jumps that i feel in the area?

• Posted

A year since my symptoms started they are still ongoing. Now when I go to bed at night I get random body jerks, it could be any part of my body, arm, leg, torso, chest, etc. I am on a muscle relaxer but this is not helping. Since my last post I have seen a neurologist who did not think this was neuro related. I am desperate to find out what is wrong. This constant pressure in the upper abdominal will just now go away and these body jerks at night are very scary. If anyone has any ideas please suggest, I'm at the point where I'll try just about anything. 

• Posted

Hi all,

I have had the exact same symptoms for around 5 years. The first year was unbearable and interrupting my sleep every day then it seemed to calm down but I still have it several times a month and then build ups/flares of bad patches where it will happen every day for 4/5 days. Exactly the same symptoms listed here, feeling at bottom of the ribs mainly when falling asleep waking up in a huge panic, the feeling you can't breathe, then the feeling subsides. Did anyone ever get anymore suggestions?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.