Use of reflexology in Meniere's

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'm 69 and I've had Meniere's for about 8 or 9 years. Full-on symptoms every couple of days for about 2 or 3 months - the whole works - vertigo, spinning, nausea, vomiting, up to 6 hours at a time - then goes away with just residuals remaining.  I've hit on something that seems to have stopped it in its tracks, and I'm very surprised that reflexology is not mentioned anywhere on any forum that I can find. My sister suggested it, not with any expectations, but my first session had dramatic results to say the least. I went when I was in the middle of one of my 2 to 3 month bouts, in fact, for the first time, I had it in my left ear instead of my right, as previously, so the attacks were very sudden and violent.  After the reflexology, as with all complementary therapies I felt worse before I felt better, but no more full-on attacks,    For 10 days or so I felt very rough, and had milld meniere's  type symptoms, just some nausea, and balance issues, but that was all.   After about 10 days these symptoms cleared competely and totally.  I felt more well than I had done in years and I just knew it had gone and it wasn't coming back,  That was about 14/15 months ago.   I continued with the reflexology, and have had no more sumptoms, not even the residual symptoms you get when you are "well" - the balance issues, etc  It's just gone completely and I don't even make allowances for it in my life.  In fact, the time when it was usually at its worst used to be between February and April, but this March I was doing a driving tour in New Zealand.   My sister spoke to her reflexologist, who told her that Meniere's is known to respond well to reflexology.  I hope my experience can help others.  Maybe others have tried it already?  did it work for you ?  I would be interested to hear others' experience of it.

Also, on a slightlly different topic,  since I have had Meniere's I have suffered from fatigue, sometimes it is extreme. My ENT consultant says it is not a symptom of Meniere's, but I have noticed one or two people on the Meniere's forums have described fatigue as one of their symptoms, and I think it is connected.  I was always very lively and full of energy before I had the disease. So comments please about that.  By the way, if it is a symptom, this is one that is not relieved by reflexology!!   I am still absolotely kn........ered most of the time !!

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Edited

I have heard of people getting helped by acupuncture which also uses pressure points, but not specifically reflexology.  But if it works for you, great!  Did your reflexologist use techniques specifically targeted to your inner ear?

As for the fatigue, I do think it is a symptom of Meniere's.  I read that the brain has to work harder when the vestibular system isn't working well with the eyes, and that fatigue may be a result.  And of course, there is the fatigue that follows vertigo attacks, which might also be a result of the poor brain trying to make sense of all the wrong signals it is getting from the vestibular system and the eyes.

• Posted

Not techniques specifically for the inner ear as such, but when she gets to the pressure point for the inner ear it's obvious that it needs more work, so it does get extra attention. Thanks for the input. If ever the reflexology fails me I'll certainly try acupuncture

• Posted

Lans, I have had menniers for 1 1/2 years

Had surgery on right ear good for a while. This disease has completely changed my life the loud ringing and fullness never ever quit. I am taking acuputure and doing yoga . This disease had brought on depression also. But my eyes are extremely tired and not quite right. I wonder if you are on to something. I know alot of people are sensitive to light. Any others have eye problems.

• Posted

Yes! Since I've had MD the progression of sunlight sensitive eyes has become intense. I go no where without sunglasses.

Eyes are connected with the MD as far as function goes too. They're always trying to adjust for what is wrong with the signals being sent to your brain from your ears. They are not communicating the same as far as balance goes.

Havn't tried the surgery rte....yet. is it worth it?

• Posted

Thank you ScubaRos, for that info. I will defiantly try reflexology! I'm desperate. Hope this is the answer for me as well.

As far as fatigue, yes, I to was always energetic and full of life. Entertaining, etc.all the time.

I have been so stressed from this MD that I replays my fatigue to that. I'm so afraid to go anywhere, do anything due to feat of having an attack in public.

All exercise has stopped. I've become a recluse.

I really think all combined adds to the fatigue.

Again, thank you for your input.

• Posted

Join the club hard to function when u are not on your game. Others think you can not cope I have a leg that was split wide open. It is the 3rd hardest disease of all. I may try what you guys are talking about if it helps.

• Edited

I to have tried reflexology and truly truly think it has helped me 100%!!! I was diagnosed with MD November last year. Lost moderate hearing in my left ear and tinittus. I had three major attacks, vomitting - the whole works and ended up at the hospital to try and control the awful attacks. April this year things got really bad! Really bad tinittus, blocked ears, major attacks not even two weeks apart, every single day I woke up feeling like rubbish, the days I didn't have major attacks I would have spouts of Virtigo through out the days! I'm only 24 so was desperate to find something that was going to sort me out, MD really was starting to rule my life!! I done acupuncture 4 times, personally I didn't find this done anything for me so I stopped that, I done yoga 4x for 2 weeks, I think that kind of helped but I started reflexology, I have had two sessions and back for my Third tomorrrow night. Today is the 8th day I've actually felt myself!! And I truly believe this is the reflexology!! 8 days may not seem like much but it's everything when I've spent the last few months every single day feeling like rubbish - I was really starting to get me down! Since reflexsology, I've had more energy, only maybe 2-3 headaches and they are nothing like I had been having which were every day, little to no tinittus, no blocked ears at all! Every time I use to open my mouth it felt like my ears needed to pop and unblock, and no Virtigo not even any minor Virtigo!! I highly recommend anyone with MD give this a go and see how it works for you - everyone is different but if you were like me and fed up with feeling rubbish and willing to try anything to make you feel better again than I suggest you give this a go!!

I do also honk fatigue is a symptom of MD - I was alway tired, no energy etc but again no where near as bad fatigue since reflexsology.

I also went to a chiropractor last week as j read that some people suggest this has helped there MD and the chiro said that my neck is completely blocked and so it my middle back, my left side is an aligned (my left ear is the effected ear) and he says this to could be causes my MD symptoms. I am now booked to see him 2x a week for the next 2 to 3 weeks and then 1x a week until he gets me sorted. So I will also keep people posted on how this works for me and my MD! I will bet this disease, I won't let it win!!! I'm to young to let it rule my life and j won't let it!! All the best with everyone out there with the same issues - I send my love as I know how controlling and deppressing it can be! We've got this! X

• Posted

Thank you, thank you Tay333!!

I will try both reflexology and chiropractic now! I'm grasping at straws.

I need my life back.

Let you know if I see/feel the changes.

• Posted

I have had huge success with Physio. Still have the tinnitus but no vertigo since the first treatment with the Physio 2 months ago.
    • Posted

I totally understand the 'I need my life back' I totally agree with you!! MD really rules your life , doesn't it! But if I/we can try things to lessen/ none at all symptoms then we will get our lives back!!

Let me know how you find they work for you! Would love to hear other people's thoughts and experiences. Its nice to relate to someone who is also in the same boat!

• Posted

Thank you for your input, It's great to hear that you also have had such positive results from reflexology.  It must be terrible to get MD when you're young, it's bad enough at my age, but at least I know I have had my life.  I see a chiropracter on a regular basis, for lower back problems, so I know my upper back is OK.  But I do get stiffness and blockages in the muscles of my neck and shoulders.  So periodically I go for a remedial massage by the same person who does my reflexology..  That probably helps, because I read somewhere else on the forum that muscle stiffness in the neck and shoulders can be  a factor in MD.  I think it is good that we are discussing complementary therapies, and I hope that our experiences will encourage others to try them.  After all, what is there to lose?  Just the cost of a reflexology session.  It's worh giving it a go isn't it?

• Posted

That's interesting, did the physio give you specific exercises?  

• Posted

Hi, I was also diagnosed at 24! im 25 now but its been the worse year of my life... I am looking into reflexology now

• Posted

Hi: After six months of suffering and 2 months of vertigo, even with Betahistine, I started reflexology. it's like night and day. 5 weeks later, I've had no attacks and have better hearing. Still a bit muted, but now no longer distorted.

• Posted

Having read your post I am about to start reflexology. With regard to fatigue after an attack I am washed out for days, some attacks worse than others for fatigue setting in. I try to power through but always end up dozing in the afternoon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.