Weight-bearing exercise

Posted , 8 users are following.

Has anyone tried weight bearing exercise (other than walking) to slow or even help reverse osteopenia and/or osteoarthritis?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anhaga

I now have advanced osteoporosis but, have a family history of osteoporosis,so   was always very aware that I might be diagnosed one day too. I've always been very active but since my forties I have undertaken a regular programme of weight, resistance and strength training (to include balance) and I am convinced that this has delayed  the onset of osteoporosis until my formal diagnosis five years ago. I'm now in my seventies. My doctor has confirmed that this has definitely helped. I'm in no pain. I have six monthly injections of Prolia with (thank goodness) no side effects. 

• Posted

Hi. I was diagnosed with osteoperosis after a second vertebrae fracture. I have danced from childhood and loved running. Since my thirties, I have used weights and done pilates and yoga. Only exercise I dont like is swimming, which does not prevent osteoporosis. I like walking too. I am really miffed that I have this condition. I have always done everything to prevent it.
    • Posted

Oh  Alison, how I am with you on this!!  I too tried so hard to prevent a diagnosis, only postive thing I can say is that PERHAPS all my efforts prevented an earlier diagnosis - who knows?

I'm not too fond of swimming either,  but went to Yoga classes regularly when younger, now go to Pilates as well as the gym and zumba. .  The only activity I have given up is horse riding (ex owner of crazy unpredictable horse!)

I too am miffed but heh lets be positive!  

• Posted

I am trying but its not easy. Had to give up my bike and that was really depressing. I'm still in the gym 3 times a week. Starting running again a week after second undiagnosed frature because I was so determined to keep exercising. I have been told, that too much exercise ( when it stops you having periods, due to weight loss) is often linked to osteoperosis too. I have never missed a period until I was well into my 50s. And, my weight  has always been stable. Dont like fizzy juice, never smoked, favourite foods, anything dairy and no family history. Just unlucky I guess
    • Posted

Sometimes life can be so unjust!

Good luck with your continuing exercise routine and I hope you don't get any more fractures. 

• Posted

My problem is steroid induced OA because I've been on prednisone for polymyalgia rheumatica for a few months.  I was wondering if anyone knows about the walking weight vests that are used by both bodybuilders and people trying to stave off osteopenia and osteoarthritis.  Apparently carrying weights can encourage the production of new bone, but I know there is a balancing act here, because we don't want to put our vertebrae under too much stress.
  • Posted

Hi

There is only one thing that bothers me.....I have OA and osteoporosis

The exercises they tell you to do are the opposite of ech other.

OA say low impact exercises  eg walking etc NO HIGH IMPACT ONES

Osteoporosis say High impact ones are the way to go.......low impact ones like swimming do no good at all but thats one of the favourite for OA???

Help.....where do you go when you have both  LOL

Love

Eileen UK

• Posted

How do you strengthen your bones without putting stress on your joints. ?Joints need mobility and you can strengthen bones by using resistance. So stretchy bands and weights, but not too heavy, should help do both. Speak to a good physio first and dont give up, because both conditions will get worse if you stop
    • Posted

I've been doing physio for OA in spine for quite a long time.  My doctor at the time was very good.  When we determined I had this problem he said what I could do was to strengthen the supporting muscles, and that is exacly what the physio has done for me.  I have the occasional bout of backache but it always clears very quickly, and seems to be brought on by the high impact of running.  So I walk a lot.  This is why I was asking about the weights because that seems a passive, less damaging way to increase the load on my skeleton, especially if I build up fairly slowly.  But I really don't know anything about how much, or how long would you carry your load around, etc., in order for it to encourage the formation of new bone.  
    • Posted

I dont know the answer, but people who are overweight and therefore,are always putting more stress on their bones, still get osteoperosis and we all know, being overweight makes all joint problems worse.
    • Posted

As I have lost a lot of weight - down to 105 lb after being between 122-125 most of my adult life - I have actually wondered if that contributed to the apparently sudden change in my bone health.  I simply haven't been carrying as much weight in the past couple of years, plus the fact that prednisone interferes with calcium absorption, might have been enough to push me over the edge.  I had a broken leg (tibial plateau) in Feb '14 but that healed very well and quickly, no indication I had any bone issues other than long standing osteoarthritis.
  • Posted

I was told my discs were degenerating after I had severe slipped disc in my late thirties. This was 25 yrs ago when only ordinary xrays were used. i have always been very active ( horse riding,dancing, high impact aerobics, etc) .started serious weight training and runnning 15 years ago and stopped the heavy weights 6 yrs ago but continued running. About 3 years ago started light weights again ...whilst being on the treadmill...hand held and ankle weights.This August the rheumatologist sent me for bone density scan and to my utter disbelief told me I had osteoporosis..(only -2.86) .apart from my sister who has it (due to early menopause) it's not in the family..I am extremely disheartened and though was supposed to go for zolendronic I.V... I didnt bother ....I take calcuim and vit D tablets and upped my dairy intake. I try and maintain my weights regime (about 30 to 40 minutes 5 days a week) but think maybe i shouldnt bother and just go with the med. I will probably go and get another scan in a yrs time and see if I am worse or not and maybe then take the med..and i too hate swimming smile
    • Posted

I was thinking more about finding a way to carry extra weight much of the day, as in the form of a weighted walking vest.  
  • Posted

I have ordered a weighted walking vest from a Texas company.  Until it arrives I'm carrying a 5 lb ankle weight around in a backpack every second day.  Have upped my Vitamin D (was going to anyway because summer is over) and also eating even more leafy greens.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.