What does anxiety chest pain tend to feel like?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey people, I haven't been on here for some time now, the last time I was telling a story as to how I managed to beat my anxiety.

However, only the past few days I have began to feel chest pain. Its like there is a band of pain around the middle of my rib cage. I also happen to have two raised ribs at this point, not raised a lot but they definitially feel much higher and out of place than the rest.

I have also started lifting weights at home, nothing too strenuous - around 7-9kgs on dumbbells.

Anyway, what does anxeity chest pain feel like? I'm worried that its beginning to crawl its way back into my life like this after trying so hard to get rid of it. I know that different pains happen to different people, but is there are general pattern for those suffering from anxiety?

Thanks,

Ryan.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi ryan,

First i just wanted to say well done for overcoming your anxiety. How did you manage it??

And second i think it sounds like you may have strained or pulled your chest muscles with training. Maybe leave it a few days and see if it subsides.

So how did you manage to get over all your anxietys??

• Posted

Thank you for the reply smile

I am hoping it is just a strain, it was a rather intense workout :P Ill give a rest for now and retake it in a few days, ill post back if its not gone.

Now for how I managed to beat my anxiety, I did something that I dont think many doctors would recommend. I was taking propranolol and citalopram, and just suddenly stopped. I researched alternative solutions thoroughly before finding that there are a number of ways you can help yourself without the use of drugs and therapy. I started taking 6000mg of vitamin C daily, some studies have shown it to greatly reduce depression and anxiety, but im no doctor, so dont take my word on this. Also I changed everything that i didnt like about myself, my weight for one. I started going to the gym and working out a lot, although im still not in the best possible shape I do feel a lot more active and healthier. Again dont take my word on this, but chemicals are released during exercise which help maintain a positive mind. 

Essentially I just changed. Whatever was bothering me i sorted it. Done smile  

Thanks again for the reply

Ryan

• Posted

Hi Ryan,

Between each rib you have a muscle called an intercostal muscle, raised ribs would cause these to be stretched more taut than usual and using weights could then pull them. I have two young children and when they were small I had an unhealthy habit of twisting as I put them on my hip and often suffered with these pulled muscles. It is a very uncomfortable sensation, bandlike as you say. It's worth getting it checked my the doctor as well but I ended up being told to take ibuprofen for immediate relief. 

I am sure it is different for everyone but when I have had anxiety chest pain it has been a heavy, prickly or stitch like sensation, usually accompanied by either a fluttering or difficulty breathing.

Good on you for beating down your anxiety - if it does turn out that you have had a bit of a set back don't beat yourself up about it, you have done it once and that's amazing and certainly you could do it again! 

Xxxx

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Hunnibee smile 

I see you have looked into this quite a bit, thanks for the insight. I will definitally get it checked anyway at the doctors, I am gonig tomorrow anyway. 

Its also good to see that there is someone else with similar problems, always reassuring. I also have difficulty breathing when it occurs but its very breif, lasting only a second or so. 

Thank you for the help, I appreciate it. smile

Ryan.

• Posted

Ryan, research hiatus hernia it could answer some of the symptoms you are getting.
    • Posted

I think you may have found a reasonable explanation for everything now that I have looked into it. Hiatus hernia causing gastroesophagael reflux disease which can go on to cause anxiety, chest and stomach pain, palpitations. It does make sense, but im not a doctor and cant really be sure. Maybe the change in my diet caused the GERD to subside for a while which led me to think that I had gotten over my anxiety. Ill have to ask my doctor tomorrow about the posibilities. Thank you for your help, I like learning and putting this kind of stuff together. 

Thanks again,

Ryan.

• Posted

did you find out what was causing your problem. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.