Would be nice to have some support

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi ladies , I'm 48 and have suffered with this complaint for about 3 years .I am on vagifem twice weekly and have just started using Ovestin. I'm finding it really sore to wee and have taking to carrying a bottle of water around with me to 'flush' myself . Have good days and bad days, unfortunately today seems like a bad one , anyone else feel the same ? 

2 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jools,  I'm new to this site and I'm 54 I started having this 2 years ago and after loads of unnecessary (as it turned out) urology investigations a female GP spotted the problem. Started on Ovestin and had no problems. In February I had to have major orthopaedic surgery and as part of that I had to stop he Ovestin as I continued to be ok I just forgot about it. BIG MISTAKE last week symptoms back with a vengeance burning, soreness, sickly feeling etc. I have now restarted Ovestin but it's early days. I'm going away at weekend for an old friends reunion and starting to panic. I'm taking cystitis sachets and drinking loads of water and have stared using a liquid probiotic "up there" - messy. Think I need antibiotics but thought of contacting GP surgery stressing me. It's horrible isn't it. 

Catrin

• Posted

Jools, does your doctor know you are using both of these?  Have you looked at the vagifem site about recommended dose and risks?  Because by using Ovestin as well as vagifem you're raising your risks of a higher dose of estrogen?  If this is what you want to do, then fine, but I just wanted to make sure you're aware of the risks after I got endometrial cancer when the GP overdosed me on vagifem (6 nights out of 7).  It may be that you feel you've tried everything else and have no option though, and I realise sometimes we are between the devil and the deep blue sea and all we can do is make informed decisions and accept the risks.
    • Posted

Hi  Chris , yea Dr recommended using a small amount of Ovestin on my finger for 2 weeks ,to help with stingy wee. Whereupon she will review my case . Thanks for the advice, I declined oral Hrt because fortunately ( or not as the case may be , I wasn't having any other symptoms)  
    • Posted

Chris. What is Vagifem ? I use Ovestin twice a week - well I stopped eight months ago cos of major surgery and didn't restart because I thought I was ok!!!! 
    • Posted

Vagifem is an estrogen pessary that they use frequently when there is a supporting pessary ring for prolapse or vaginal atrophy etc.  But if you want to know the risks, just google vagifem prescribing instructions.  And they don't just give these warnings to cover themselves - they give them because there is a risk.  My doctor kept telling me that estrogen into the vagina isn't absorbed systemically but it is.  In fact, anything put into the vagina is actually absorbed more than it is via the mouth because it doesn't go through everything where some is taken out (sorry, not describing this very well!) but goes straight into the blood stream.
  • Posted

Hi Catrin , thanks for the reply , yea this sure sucks.I know exactly what you mean about dreading going out , I just want to stay at home !.

I have been on vagifem for a few years and I was 'OK' , then I had a blip , I thought it was a urine infection , ( I too take cranberry sachets at the first sign of any discomfort) but it proved to be VA . At the moment I'm drinking loads of water , and taking paracetamol to ease the stinging and general discomfort , it's a condition that takes away all the joy and I feel like a dried up prune ! Lol not a good image I must say .

Hope it all works out for you x 

• Posted

You too. Yes I feel like a dried up old woman. I don't know what vagifem is. Is it the same as Ovestin?
    • Posted

Yea it's just ( I think) a bit easier to apply its just a small pill that you insert and it's less messy , I'm not sure strength wise if it's better than Ovestin , but I couldn't do without it .
  • Posted

Hi Jools, Yes I feel the same. I am 58 and started with what we thought were a lot of UTI'S, one after the other, last summer, 2014. Then by October November last year they told me I had got V A and put me on GYNEST. Used it for a few months but it didn't seem to help and each time I used it I was "Praying" that it would be the dose that finally sorted my symptoms out, but it never was. The GYNEST supply ran out so they put me on Vagifem twice a week but I got the same result. Virtually no help at all. So on August 4th I stopped using the Vagifem as well. I have done with HRT ever since and I was just about coping till nearly 3 weeks ago. I started getting water infections. I've had 4 in 2.5 weeks! On my 4th lot of antibiotics now! Trouble is I had an hip replacement last December and I'm scared to death of any infection going to the new hip! Looking back at the HRT, it didn't help with the vaginal soreness or wanting to wee all the time BUT I'm pretty sure I had no water infections whilst using it. Doc gave me some Ovestin a few weeks ago but I saw strokes listed under side effects. A big fear of mine since my mum died 9 weeks ago from a bad stroke! Then just these last few days, I have seen someone mention D Mannose on here. It's a natural "Medication" that's great for water infections by all accounts. So once I've used my antibiotics up, I'm going to try it. It's very expensive so if it works I will have to find a cheaper source. But if it stops me from having to use either antibiotics or HRT, it will be a godsend. I know its a fact that you can get more UTI'S with Vaginal Atrophy. But my main VA symptoms are soreness and wanting to wee all the time, then feeling like I've not been because only a little bit comes out! On the bad days I feel irritated all day with it. I do get some better days in between but it always comes back. Sorry you are having a bad day Jools. And sorry you have suffered so long too. It's really difficult isn't it. Are you using the Ovestin instead of the Vagifem, or as well as? I think I am just going to have to live with the discomfort and use Replens up inside to keep me lubricated. As long as I can stop the water infections with the D Mannose, that will be great. I find that I am sore weeing with a water infection Jools. I hope you haven't gone one too. Sorry for going on. :-)
    • Posted

Hi Shirley , sorry to hear you too are having a bad time  and sorry about your mother . i know it feels so much better to share your problems .Im using vagifem twice weekly and for a fortnight my doc recommended using a small bit of Ovestin on my fingertip where it's needed outside ( if you know what I mean ) .

I know what you mean about living with the discomfort, and hoping that this time it will be ok .

I haven't heard of  Replens , not sure if they have them in the Uk.

My symptoms are a stinging when urinating and a general stingy feeling ' down there' ,I have had that need to wee as you describe and it is so awful .

I hope you get sorted  X 

• Posted

Thanks Joools. Yes it does feel so much better to share my problems. I used Vagifem twice weekly too. I had not thought of using the Ovestin the way you mention. I am in the UK and Replens is an over the counter lubricant you can buy at most chemists. Costs about £11.00 but my doctor prescribed it for me so I got it for £8.20. Yes I am stinging down there a lot too, am now come to that. That will be the VA though, not my UTI. That need to wee is awful isn't it. Really really annoying. Oh another thing that will help with the stinging, instead of Replens and similar things is Vitamin E Oil. It is really good. Some of the girls on here were talking about it and sharing their experiences recently. I've got some of those capsules and I just put a pin in it and squeeze the oil out and smear it where it needs to go. That's another idea for you. Best to get the natural Vit E Oil though. That's another idea for you.
    • Posted

Thanks for the VIt e suggestion , my doc also said avoid strong bubble baths and have a plain old water bath , so as not to irritate. I have also taken to being knicker less it's so much better and  allows the air to circulate a lot more . Just hope there isn't a strong wind blowing if I wear a skirt ! 

Take care Xxx

• Posted

Hi all. An update. Managed to get to see a Dr at walk in centre and i do have urine infection 😨 Gave me antibiotics and will take them because of having had hip replacement in February. Will have to start my Ovestin again and hope it sorts me out. I noticed Replens at chemist. Anyone know what is in it? No perfumes etc ? They are a no-no for me
    • Posted

Hi Catrin, hope you get sorted . I personally have not taken Replens , but I did take similar something from Boots, can't remember the name but same sort of thing , for me they stung like mad and made my problem worse , but that is only my opinion . A lot of ladies have good things to say about Replens so I guess everyone is different , I do use KY jelly to lubricate , my doctor said it was very gentle .
    • Posted

Yes that's right, no sented bubble baths or showers either. I've been washing down below with Hydromol. It's actually an ointment but you can use it as a "Soap" in the shower or bath too. Non scented. Ideal for delicate areas of the body. It's a bit expensive so next time I will find something very similar but less expensive. I would go without knickers too but I wear jeans more often than not so it wouldn't make a lot of difference to me. I see your point though and its a good idea. I try and wear cotton knickers and avoid the rest.

All the best

x x

• Posted

Shirley you can get a 500g tub of Hydromol on prescription. Not sure if this is cheaper
    • Posted

Ok right I will remember that. Yes I think it would be cheaper. :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.