ZYTIGA...Is anyone on this Daily Course...

Posted , 6 users are following.

It looks like I will be offered Zytiga for my Advanced Metastatic Prostate Cancer as my PSA is rising and now at 10 ur/l but my Testosterone is stable at 2.3...Yesterday the Urologist said that once PSA get to 20 ur/l then its time for Zytiga....My Metastic Tumours have diminished from the scan I had in December last year from my skeletone and I have been on top of the world for a year.....

Can anyone tell me first hand as to their experience of the sideffects of the drug and Presnidone.....At the moment I have good quality of life and in a good mindset on Zoladex,monthly injections...

Please look at my previouse listings and maybe you will be able to help with my inquiries...

Thanks....Ken

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Ken read your latest and previous posts  .I have similar numbers to you .Diagnosed last Sept  T3b N1a M1  4/5 Gleason .  Just on Zolodex PSA gone from 168 down to 2.7 in 7 months .Urologist has not said what the future holds for me ,but everything I read suggests Zytiga is a wonderful newish drug. C'nt help on on side effects at present but it looks as though I am going the same route as you,so would like to keep in touch         andexchange notes which might help both of us.

• Posted

hI Washie,Thanks.Will definetely keep in touch...I was diagnosed in September 2013...High PSA of 238....Scan showed multiple Metastatic tumours on my skeleton...I've come along way...Too far advanced for Chemo an Radiation....but I've beaten the odds for now....never wanted to know time frame from Urologist,be good to be able to talk with someone that is experiencing the same level as me ...Looking forward to chatting...Thanks.Ken
    • Posted

Just my 2cents worth...if you are prescribed a drug like prednisone u should ask if instead you can be placed on hydrocortisone.

I say this after having been on hydrocortisone for 18 months, not for prostate cancer but a different disease,  where for 2 weeks a new doctor changed me to prednisone. 

I I did not tolerate prednisone well.

mood swings etc

from my reading of the literature, more folk tolerate hydrocortisone far better than prednisone.

the only drawback is some weight gain, but that is a small price to pay to feel better.

• Posted

Thanks Ken.   Good to have you on board. Your story has already made me feel very much better. I'll come back to you with more information,in meantime contact me whenever you like...........Washie
    • Posted

Hi Barney,thanks for the info and suggestion..I've never liked the idea of prednisone and have been researching for an alternative...Hydrocortisone could very well be my choice of drug...I.ve had it before as an injection and a Topic..Injestion might be a bit different....Thanks ...will let you know when the time comes as to whether the Uro will give me a choice....My choice will be that I will not be using Prednisone...Cheers

• Posted

Good. For your reference I took hydrocortisone by tablets. And regardless of which one you end up taking and regardless of how long you are on it, you  must wean off it and never just stop suddenly.
  • Posted

Ken----information behind my stats.  APrC has spread into left seminal vesicle plus 2 lots of lymph nodes,iliac and paraaortic.  Nowhere else thank God.My next PSA due end ofJuly.   I hope PSA will have gone even further down when I see URO.   I will then ask more questions on further treatments and drugs used by Hospital 

I live in Merseyside(Southport)---where do you live?  Perhaps we use the same NHS trust.

Washie

• Posted

Morning Washie,We're worlds apart..I live at a beachside resort called Mount Maunganui.New Zealand...

Barney has given me the suggestion about using Hydrocortisone as an Alternative to Prednisone...

I like this Chat Forum....

It's a great place to broadcast our Journeys and get these suggestions that may give us a better Quality of Life...

Always available....Ken

• Posted

Hi may i ask how old you are ? my 84 year old father was just diagonsed with metastis to his bone PSA 9.4 :-((( I am trying to learn as much as I can any help will be appreciated
    • Posted

Hi titi--I'msure you will get useful information on this forum.   What treatment have you been offered?        Washie
    • Posted

The first thing that comes to my mind is that surgery or in fact any major treatment for those  over 75 must be very carefully considered, especially if the patient has  other medical problems.
    • Posted

Hi for now the one doctor has suggested Xofigo apparantly it is a very expensive drug and each shot is 18,000 :-((( I don't know yet if medicare or medicaid covers it? he does has metasis to his bone in several places on spine , ribs, and pelvic ...... any help you can give me i will so appreciate it .... I am completely lost and my father is not an easy patieant he is very very against doctors and does not trust them/ PLEASE HELP
  • Posted

HI can you tell me how long have you been diagnosed and how old you are  ? I am sorry to ask I am trying to find and compare people wth my 84 year old dad :-(((

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.